Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Split personality

I'm not quite sure which way I should face at the moment. Originally, the whole point of this blog was to try to give some sort of human voice to what carers have to do on a daily basis. This isn't really that popular - apart maybe for carers themselves and people involved. But I didn't do this to be popular.

Recently I've had to get involved in politics, because my son's care, and that of his friends is threatened by the scale and depth of the recent cuts. This has proved amazingly (to me) popular. Visitors to the blog have increased astronomically and I'm very grateful for the support and sympathetic comment. However, I don't want this to become a political blog.

My gut reaction is to continue with what political action I feel appropriate in the real world, but to take Ned Ludd, carer back to what he started doing this for - trying to flag up the real life issues and problems we carers and the people we look after have on a day to day basis, just keeping things human. I'm afraid some of the more politically involved people may see less that interests them here in the future. It isn't that I've stopped taking action where I feel it matters, it's just that I'm not sure this is the right place to publicize it. If this means a large number of people drift away, sorry - I thank you for your support but pushing a political view isn't why I'm here. I know I'll probably return to being a blog of minority interest, but I can live with that.

I will probably still comment occasionally about specific political situations - they are impacting on our life and it would be dishonest not to acknowledge that - but it won't be a main plank of this blog.

I will also try to avoid any more of this self indulgent navel gazing in future - after all, it is only a blog and these are only words - the real world is a bit more important and needs me more.

3 comments:

  1. Nah, I don't think you'll have any problems with viewings, political or not. The truth is, unfortunately, that politics on some level plays a role in care these days and so it's always going to come into it, but maybe not on the level may people want. I know my own blogs tend to go far and wide, with tonnes of views when I am ranting, but the pleasant stuff about gardening tends to get mostly passed over.

    Your blog is what you make of it and is thoroughly within your rights to do with it as you please. Mine is the outflow pipe to my head so if I write three times a day, well I guess I needed to. Never feel that merely words are not important; you invite us into your life with a post, and that carries a fair bit of power. I am grateful.

    So carry on, and I will read, and nod emphatically in some places, and cringe perhaps in others, but I can tell you as a parent that sometimes I just need the reassurance that I'm not alone.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ned
    Just carry on as you are. As Oya's Daughter's says, it's your blog. I read you because I'm interested in a section of society that I feel I should know more about (carers, carers with a disabled child). I don't have any children but it doesn't mean I don't want to learn about what parents go through. I have empathy and sympathy and will give my support where possible.
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for support, I'll get round to a real post as soon as I can get past current real life issues.
    Thanks both.

    ReplyDelete